Can the best mattress topper really make a difference in your sleep quality and duration? Well, 86% of people who have purchased one have reported that they are happy with their purchase.
Experts say that the average person needs 7.5 to 9 hours of good restful sleep per night to function at their best the following day.
Are you finding it difficult to get a good night’s sleep? Do you wake up each morning with back or neck pain? If so, your sleep surface may be to blame.
If your mattress is in really bad shape (sagging badly or the surface is very lumpy and uneven) then you probably need a new mattress. If your mattress is still in decent shape but lumpier than you would like or starting to sag, then a mattress topper can definitely help.
There are a few different types of mattress topper. Each type has a unique combination of characteristics and the type you buy will be determined by your own personal needs.
Types of Mattress Topper
- Memory foam mattress toppers are the most popular and the most versatile. They offer the best support and depending on the density and thickness, you should be able to find the firmness that is perfect for you.
- A Latex foam mattress topper offers many of the qualities of memory foam and is an excellent choice for people with allergies because it is hypo-allergenic and dust mites can’t live in them.
- A Feather or down mattress topper offers warmth and comfort and will also add softness to a mattress that is too firm.
- A wool mattress topper has many of the qualities of the feather or down topper and is considered a better choice for those with allergies
- An egg crate mattress pad would be the least expensive of this group. It offers decent support and comfort at a reasonable price.
- A Heated Mattress Pad is a mattress topper or pad that contains micro-wires that heat your bed in a similar way to an electric blanket.
- A Cooling Mattress Pad is a mattress pad that cools your bed in one of two ways. Through the use of a fiber blend that wicks moisture away from the body or using tubing that circulates water throughout the mattress pad.
- A Magnetic Mattress Pad is therapeutic in nature. Using magnets they are supposed to provide better circulation and pain relief.
A Few Other points about Latex Mattress Toppers Worth Mentioning
Customer satisfaction surveys have shown that price does make a difference in the quality of each type. Those that bought the least expensive toppers tended to be less happy with their purchase than those who paid a bit more. Paying a little more can make you a lot happier with your purchase.
Another point worth mentioning is that a mattress topper is not a mattress protector. Even though it will offer some protection for your mattress there are less expensive options that will do the job.
A number of people have reported problems with the way the mattress toppers fit their mattress. They found that they were smaller than advertised. A small percentage of respondents said that the the topper sometimes moved around and had to be readjusted.
Each type of Mattress topper is available in sizes to fit all standard mattresses so you shouldn’t have a problem finding one that will suit your needs.
If you are concerned that the added thickness will mean that you will need to buy new sheets well…..you might, so take this into account before making your purchase.
“Green” options are available if that is an issue for you. Natural latex, wool, feather, and down toppers would all be viable options.
The bottom line is that there is a mattress topper that can remedy what ever problem you have with your sleep surface. Choosing the right one is all that stands between you and a great nights sleep!