Can the best mattress topper really make a difference in your sleep quality and duration? Well, 86% of people who have purchased one have reported that they are happy with their purchase.
Experts say that the average person needs 7.5 to 9 hours of good restful sleep per night to function at their best the following day.
Are you finding it difficult to get a good night’s sleep? Do you wake up each morning with back or neck pain? If so, your sleep surface may be to blame.
If your mattress is in really bad shape (sagging badly or the surface is very lumpy and uneven) then you probably need a new mattress. If your mattress is still in decent shape but lumpier than you would like or starting to sag, then a mattress topper can definitely help.
There are a few different types of mattress topper. Each type has a unique combination of characteristics and the type you buy will be determined by your own personal needs.
Mattress pads and toppers have been available in many materials for years and some people still prefer a natural filling. However the use of visco elastic memory foam has become increasingly popular. It’s the memory foam topper that I’ll be concentrating on here.
1. SnugFleece Wool Mattress Pad
SnugFleece Wool Mattress Pads are a smart choice if you are looking for superb craftsmanship in a mattress pad. Products made of wool, such as this one have a unique way of accommodating fluctuating body temperature to help you stay warm in the colder months and cooler in the warmer months of the year. When you are experiencing better temperature regulation you will sleep better. A good nights sleep makes you better able to handle your busy day.
This mattress pad is designed to fit on top of the mattress but under a fitted sheet. This wool mattress pad has properties that make it perfect for individuals with allergies because the mattress pad discourages the growth of mold and mildew. Individuals experiencing restless nights, stiff neck, and lower back pain, painful joints or have hand or arm numbness may discover that these symptoms improve or disappear once they sleep on a SnugFleece Wool Mattress Pad.
SnugFleece Wool Mattress Pad Features:
- Excellent temperature regulation keeps you warm in cold months and cool in warmer months
- This mattress topper can be found in sizes to fit most popular mattress sizes
- This product nicely conforms to the contours of your body to reduce pain from pressure points
- A 30-day satisfaction guarantee is provided by the manufacturer
- Its natural flame resistance is a good safety feature
- Made with superb craftsmanship for quality and durability and soft cushioned support
- This is a good choice for anyone looking for a “green’ and sustainable product.
Customers love the fact that this wool mattress pad prevents the sweating and overheating that can happen with a memory foam topper. The pad is gorgeous, really soft and plush. The real wool does have a slight smell to it when you first purchase the mattress pad. It will dissipate after bout twenty four hours. The backing is 100% cotton with no polyester in the product at all. The pad does diminish sweating that can occur while sleeping.
One unfortunate situation is the bunching that can occur after about 3 months of usage. Some users experienced bunching in the vertical channels of the pad. The company recommends airing the pad in the sun and shaking it out to redistribute the bunched wool. You can also use the air fluff setting on your dryer. This does help temporarily but the process of airing it out and fluffing must be repeated as the bunching will reoccur.
SnugFleece Wool Mattress Pad is the ideal product for anyone that desires a non-allergenic surface that is comfortable to sleep on and keeps you warm in winter and cool in summer. It conforms to your body, can reduce the pain from pressure points, and is naturally flame resistant. These points and the fact that is ‘green’ and sustainable make this mattress pad a highly recommended product. The quality of the craftsmanship,and the softness, comfort and warmth it brings are just a few of the reasons why people who have purchased this product experience a good night’s rest.
What is a Mattress Pad or Topper?
A mattress pad is simply a thin pad which lays on top of your existing mattress to provide increased support and comfort. The terms “topper” and “pad” are often used interchangeably. However whilst toppers are always used to increase comfort, there are other sorts of pad. These are thinner pads which are normally used for reasons of hygene or allergy.
Toppers are available in all standard bed sizes, but do double check the exact measurements: different people sometimes have different opinions as to what is meant by “double”, “king” etc. The “standards” aren’t totally standard so check before you buy!
Types of Mattress Topper
- Memory foam mattress toppers are the most popular and the most versatile. They offer the best support and depending on the density and thickness, you should be able to find the firmness that is perfect for you.
- A Latex foam mattress topper offers many of the qualities of memory foam and is an excellent choice for people with allergies because it is hypo-allergenic and dust mites can’t live in them.
- A Feather or down mattress topper offers warmth and comfort and will also add softness to a mattress that is too firm.
- A wool mattress topper has many of the qualities of the feather or down topper and is considered a better choice for those with allergies
- An egg crate mattress pad would be the least expensive of this group. It offers decent support and comfort at a reasonable price.
- A Heated Mattress Pad is a mattress topper or pad that contains micro-wires that heat your bed in a similar way to an electric blanket.
- A Cooling Mattress Pad is a mattress pad that cools your bed in one of two ways. Through the use of a fiber blend that wicks moisture away from the body or using tubing that circulates water throughout the mattress pad.
- A Magnetic Mattress Pad is therapeutic in nature. Using magnets they are supposed to provide better circulation and pain relief.
1. Memory Foam Toppers
Many suppliers and their customers will tell you that a memory foam mattress is the ultimate sleep experience. However there is no denying that this is an expensive option.
If you’re buying a new bed or a new mattress anyway, this investment is certainly worth considering. However if you already have a decent mattress then a memory foam topper or pad is a more affordable alternative.
A memory foam topper is a piece of visco-elastic foam, usually an inch or two thick, that is placed on top of your existing mattress. It gives you many of the support and comfort advantages of memory foam without the need to invest in a full scale mattress. Be aware that when new memory foam emits a strong, chemical smell. When you first buy your mattress topper/pad you’ll probably want to “air” it for a couple of days. Some people find that they are still sensitive to the smell even after that – personally I haven’t found it a problem.
After a while memory foam does tend to lose some of its “bounce”. For this reason I recommend turning the pad occasionally as you would a conventional mattress.
Adding a topper, memory foam or not, will probably improve the performance of almost any mattress. However it can’t save a really old one. If your mattress is thirty years old, sagging and with springs poking through… don’t bother. Buy a new mattress rather than trying to make the old one last.
On the other hand, if you own a perfectly good mattress already and would like to experience the feeling of sleeping on memory foam then a topper is certainly an alternative worth considering.
That’s the option that I’ve taken. I already had a good mattress so for me it made sense to buy a memory foam topper to go with it. I consider one of the best purchases I ever made.
Latex vs Memory Foam Topper
Memory foam toppers are the most popular of all mattress toppers and have a high customer satisfaction rate. Latex is less popular at this time but seems to be gaining a larger following. Latex toppers also enjoy a very high customer satisfaction rate.
If you are looking for a “green” or sustainable topper then look no further than a latex topper that is made using the talalay manufacturing process. This yields a 100% natural and sustainable product that is soft and durable. It is also an expensive process so talalay toppers are usually priced higher than synthetic latex or memory foam.
- If you are a hot sleeper latex is a better choice. Latex allows for better air flow around the sleeper. Memory foam mattress toppers trap heat and is likely to sleep hotter. Some of the new gel memory foam toppers sleep cooler but latex is still a better choice.
- If you are looking for softness and comfort both types come in a variety of levels of density and softness.
- Memory foam offers better support for those with back problems or joint issues. This is not to say that latex foam offers no support, just that memory foam is a better choice. In fact support is probably the number one reason given by people who purchased memory foam.
- Both are equally durable. You can expect to get fifteen to twenty years of good service out of either type. Just be sure to buy a good quality model. With latex toppers a blend of synthetic and natural will be more durable than all natural.
- Memory foam is manufactured using a chemical process that sometimes causes a problem called off-gassing. This means that when a memory foam mattress topper is first unwrapped it may give off a chemical odor. This is temporary and should dissipate within twenty four hours.Latex foam mattress toppers seldom if ever have this problem.
- Memory foam cannot be flipped. If you like being able to flip your topper to give yourself a fresh sleeping surface then latex is a better choice.
- Both do a good job of preventing motion transfer so with either one your movement is unlikely to disturb your partner.
- If Price is a concern you will find that Latex is generally more expensive, though there are some high quality memory foam models that are very pricey. You are more likely to find a low priced memory foam topper than a latex one.
- Latex is very good for allergy sufferers. It naturally resists dust mites, bacteria, mildew and mold. There are also hypoallergenic models available in memory foam.
- You can’t wash either one. Spot cleaning with a mild cleaning solution is your only option.
The bottom line is that both types have their strong points and weak points. It is our opinion that overall latex toppers have more advantages and fewer disadvantages. You should decide exactly what you are looking for in a mattress topper and use that criteria to determine which one will suit your needs.
2. Egg Crate Mattress Topper
An egg crate mattress pad would be one of the least expensive options in your search for a mattress topper. Price, and the fact that they work well, makes them a popular choice for budget conscious shoppers. These mattress pads are generally used in clinics and hospitals because they offer decent support, shock resistance, and good air flow which reduces the likelihood of bed sores, pressure points and over heating.
Egg crate mattress toppers are made of open or closed cell foam. The better ones which are mostly used in rehab hospitals are made of medical grade, closed cell urethane foam. There are also some companies that manufacture them from latex foam which may be a very good but expensive option. The top, with its dips and bumps resembles an egg carton. The bottom is flat so owners don’t generally flip them.
Egg crate mattress pads offer good support so finding a comfortable sleeping position is not a problem. They also help with temperature regulation because the egg crate shape offers good air flow and breath-ability for your body. This gives you a cool, dry, supportive surface and a more restful nights sleep.
Egg crate mattress pads cannot be machine washed as it will cause a breakdown of the foam. You can clean the surface with a solution of baking soda, water, and a little lemon juice. Some people have complained about a chemical or plastic odor when they first remove the packaging, but it dissipates within a day or two.
These mattress pads are also very popular with college students. They use them to make those dorm room mattresses more comfortable to sleep on. People also report that since egg crate mattress pads are so light and portable they can take them with them on trips, making it more likely that they will get a decent nights sleep when sleeping on a strange bed.
Egg Crate Mattress Pad pluses and minuses
- Egg crate toppers are your least expensive option
- They offers good support and breath-ability
- Egg crate mattress pads are Light and portable – you can travel and bring your bed with you
- They can be used with any type of mattress except memory foam
- Very limited cleaning options
- Plastic smell when unpacked
When shopping for an egg crate mattress pad, be sure to read the online customer reviews and recommendations. I find the reviews on Amazon.com particularly helpful. With little careful research, I’m sure you will find the egg crate mattress pad that perfectly fits your needs.
3. Magnetic Mattress Pad = Pain Relief?
Magnetic mattress pads are used to help improve your blood circulation and increase the oxygen level in your bloodstream. These mattress pads also have the ability to slow down anyone’s aging process. The magnets in the mattress perform therapy on your body while you’re sleeping and helps to prevent conditions such as arthritis.
It works to eliminate minor pains so you’re feeling refreshed and energized by the time morning comes. Installation of the pad is simple – purchase it then set it on top of your mattress and lay your fitted sheet over it. Your next step will be to go to sleep that night and wake up the next morning feeling rejuvenated!
People who benefit the most from the magnetic mattress toppers are post-polio patients and also people who are suffering with chronic joint pain. The relief of pain from the magnetic mattress pads helps people who suffer from carpal tunnel, fibromyalgia, arthritis, sciatica, and general back pains and aches.
The increased blood circulation from the pad helps people who have diabetes, high blood pressure and it will help lower cholesterol, reduce any swelling, and soften arteries that will allow you to have the most restful sleep that you’ve ever experienced in your entire life.
People who shouldn’t purchase a magnetic mattress pad are women who are pregnant, people who wear a pacemaker, insulin pump, or a defibrillator. It’s also important to keep any other items that are magnetically sensitive away from your bed if you choose to use the mattress pad.
Overall, the reviews have been great and are showing signs of being a miracle healer. Many people are reporting that the magnetic mattress pad is doing wonders for their back and the only downside to it seems to be the cost. If you’re able to get off the medication and leave the doctors behind for a peaceful sleep then any cost should be worth it!
4. A Cooling Mattress Pad Can Help You Sleep Better
If you are having problem falling asleep at night, or staying asleep once you’ve fallen asleep the problem may be your bedroom temperature. Experts say that your bedroom should be dark, cool, and quiet. Studies have shown that sleep is initiated by a drop in core temperature. This can be aided by keeping your bedroom temperature between sixty and seventy degrees at night or purchasing a cooling mattress pad.
A cooling mattress pad is specifically made to keep you cool at night when no other mattress topper can do the job. Gel memory foam will sleep cooler than regular memory foam but for some people not cool enough. Wool mattress toppers and latex foam mattress toppers both do a good job of temperature regulation but for some people they are still too hot. When nothing else is doing the job it may be time to try a cooling mattress pad .
There are two types of cooling mattress pads.
- The first uses a blend of man-made and natural fibers that wick away moisture from the body which allows it to evaporate. This helps you to feel cool and dry and provides better body temperature regulation. Feel Cooler makes one of the higher rated models in this category.
- The second type uses plastic tubing that is embedded in the mattress pad. This tubing is used to circulate either cool or warm water throughout the mattress pad. That’s right. This pad can be used to both heat or cool your bed. Chillipad- Heating and Cooling Mattress Pad is one of the higher rated models in this category.
The advantages are obvious. In the summer you can save on cooling costs because you won’t need to keep your whole bedroom as cool. In the winter you can save on heating costs because you can heat only your bed instead of your whole house! Electromagnetic frequencies or EMF’s may be a problem when using a heated mattress pad but not with this product. No Wires!
The water is circulated using a small electric pump. This pump is actually very quiet but you should probably check it out for yourself to make sure the noise won’t be a problem. This mattress pad also contains a heating unit to heat the water which in turn heats the mattress pad to keep you warm on those cold winter nights.
On average this product uses about eighty watts of energy which is a lot less than using your air conditioner or turning up your thermostat. You can also buy a model with dual zones which will allow you to regulate the temperature of each side of the bed separately.
Overall customer satisfaction is very good. Most purchasers report that the product is durable and works as promised. The few complaints we have seen generally have to do with the noise of the unit, the functionality of the unit, or in one case a leak. For the most part we find customers are pleased with their purchase.
A cool sleeping environment is not the only thing you need to insure a good nights sleep. You bedroom must also be as dark and as quiet as possible. Avoid night lights and television and try to avoid caffeine within six hours of bedtime. A regular sleep schedule can help, and even a warm glass of milk before going to bed may help. The point is, that a number of factors can contribute to a good, restful, reinvigorating nights sleep.
If you suffer from hot flashes or night sweats a cooling mattress pad could be just what you need but be sure to do your research. Most but not all customer reviews are favorable so be sure to check them out. We find the reviews at Amazon.com particularly helpful. Use the reviews and recommendations as a guide and I’m sure you will find the mattress pad that will do the job for you.
5. Down Mattress Topper
A feather or down mattress topper is a good choice for the person who is looking for comfort, warmth, and a soft, cozy sleep surface . If you are looking for added support or to change the level of firmness of your current mattress then you would be better off with one of the foam options.
This topper will add a softer feel to a firm mattress without affecting the support that the mattress already provides.
Feather or down mattress toppers are also referred to as pillow top feather-beds. They are down or feathers from ducks or geese, with a cover that is usually cotton. High thread count covers are preferable to lower because the tighter weave means that you are less likely to have feathers poking through.
These toppers are highly durable so you can expect to enjoy many years of comfort before you will need to replace it. Be sure to purchase a feather-bed with baffle box construction to reduce the likelihood that you will have a problem with bunching or flattening of the down or feathers.
A nice safety feature is that down is naturally flame resistant. Feather and down mattress toppers also do a good job of regulating body temperature which means you will be warm in the winter and cool and dry in the summer.
If allergies are a problem for you there are brands that offer hypoallergenic options. There are also companies that offer allergy proof topper covers.
Pros and Cons of Feather or Down Mattress Toppers
- Adds softness and warmth to any sleep surface.
- Excellent regulation of body temperature. You will be comfortable no matter what the season.
- Less expensive that other types of mattress toppers
- Can be cleaned. Most require dry cleaning but some can be machine washed.
- Allergy-proof options are available
- They do tend to flatten out over time so the will need to be fluffed occasionally.
- They offer no added support.
In a small number of the feather and down mattress topper covers with lower thread counts there were consumer complaints about feathers poking through the cover so try to stick to the higher thread counts. There were also a small number of consumer complaints about the shifting and movement of the down and feathers causing flattening and bunching so try to purchase a topper with baffle box construction. You can avoid these problems by by reading online customer reviews and recommendations. I find the reviews at Amazon.com very useful. With a little careful research I’m sure you’ll find a feather or down mattress topper that will provide you with years of warm, soft, cozy comfort!
6. Heated Mattress Pads
If you hate climbing into a cold bed a heated mattress pad may be just what you need. If you want your bed to stay warm and toasty all night a heated mattress pad will definitely help but before buying here are a few things you should know.
- They are an energy cost saver. Heating your bed while sleeping allows you to turn down your thermostat at night. If you are currently an electric blanket user, an electric mattress pad uses about half the electricity.
- Models with two heating zones. If you don’t sleep alone be sure to choose a model with two heating zones so that you and your partner can each control the temperature on your side of the bed. There are some models that say they are two zones but they are built to control the temperature difference between your upper and lower body so be sure you know what you are buying.
- Be sure to choose a low voltage model. You do not want to be sleeping on 120 volt wires no matter how well made the mattress pad is.
- Be Sure to buy a model that has a detachable cord and is 100% machine washable.
- Look for a model with a preheat setting and a 10 hour automatic shut off.
- Make sure your heated mattress pad is UL approved and comes with a three to five year warranty.
- The material should be a good quality cotton- polyester blend and the micro wires should be so small that you can’t feel them when laying on the pad.
- People with sore and aching joints or muscles may find sleeping with a heated mattress pad to be beneficial.
- Pregnant women should not use an electric mattress pad do to the possibility of overheating the Fetus.
- People with pacemakers should not use a heated mattress pad because electromagnetic frequency waves may interfere with the device .
- People with heat insensitivity should not use these. This would include people with diabetes.
- Infants should not use electric mattress pads. ChiliPad makes a mattress pad that both heats and cools that claims to be safe for children but you need to do your own due diligence on that.
- Electromagnetic fields were a well published concern in the early 1990′s. Manufacturers claim to have greatly reduced EMF’s but some experts claim that they are still a concern.When shopping for a heated mattress pad be sure to check out the customer reviews on Amazon .com. Another good source for this further information is the electric blanket institute. Thank you for visiting our site. We hope it was helpful.
Caring For Your Heated Mattress Pad
If you take the time to clean your Best electric Mattress Pad properly you will get many years of safe, dependable service from it. The following video illustrates a very good cleaning method.
7. Wool Mattress Toppers
A Wool Mattress Topper could definitely fall into the category of luxury item. They are soft and warm and more about comfort than support. That is not to say that they offer no support at all. Some of the pricier models do offer support to those who need it. Just not on the level that you would get from memory foam or latex foam.
Wool mattress pads can be purchased in Lambs wool, Alpaca, or a blend of either with latex, polyester, or cotton. Lambs wool is softer, Alpaca is more durable. Lambs wool will feel more comfortable than Alpaca and it will also flatten out quicker This means it will need to be fluffed more frequently. A blend will need fluffing far less often than a topper made from one type of wool.
Pros and Cons of Wool Mattress Toppers
- They are highly durable. You can expect to get many years of service from a quality product.
- Wool is naturally flame resistant, which is a nice safety feature.
- Wool is by nature, hypoallergenic so it is an excellent choice if allergies are an issue for you.
- These toppers also naturally resist dust mites and are anti-bacterial.
- They do a great job of regulating body temperature. They allow for good air flow and wick away moisture keeping you cooler in the summer. The fibers also trap the warmth in the winter giving you greater comfort in the winter.
- The lanolin that occurs naturally in wool makes them liquid resistant.
- The fact that they flatten out after a while means that they need more maintenance than other types of toppers
- If support or firmness are your main concern then there are better choices than a wool mattress pad.
When shopping for a wool mattress topper you will find that different types of cleaning are required for different brands. If this is an issue for you be sure to check with the manufacturer before making your purchase. Consensus seems to be that steam cleaning is the best for pretty much all wool mattress toppers. These toppers can be purchased in sizes to fit any mattress. Be sure to check online customer reviews when doing your fact finding. I generally find the reviews at Amazon.com very helpful. I’m sure that with a little research you’ll find the perfect wool mattress pad for you!
A Few Other points about Latex Mattress Toppers Worth Mentioning
Customer satisfaction surveys have shown that price does make a difference in the quality of each type. Those that bought the least expensive toppers tended to be less happy with their purchase than those who paid a bit more. Paying a little more can make you a lot happier with your purchase.
Another point worth mentioning is that a mattress topper is not a mattress protector. Even though it will offer some protection for your mattress there are less expensive options that will do the job.
A number of people have reported problems with the way the mattress toppers fit their mattress. They found that they were smaller than advertised. A small percentage of respondents said that the the topper sometimes moved around and had to be readjusted.
Each type of Mattress topper is available in sizes to fit all standard mattresses so you shouldn’t have a problem finding one that will suit your needs.
If you are concerned that the added thickness will mean that you will need to buy new sheets well…..you might, so take this into account before making your purchase.
“Green” options are available if that is an issue for you. Natural latex, wool, feather, and down toppers would all be viable options.
The bottom line is that there is a mattress topper that can remedy what ever problem you have with your sleep surface. Choosing the right one is all that stands between you and a great nights sleep!
- 1. SnugFleece Wool Mattress Pad
- Types of Mattress Topper