Bed bugs are small parasites that feed on human blood. They are notorious household pests that can reproduce many offspring within a short period. They will attack you at night when you’re sleep and gorge themselves on your blood. It’s easy to carry the pests unwillingly to your home from a visit to an infested resident or hotel because they are so small and thus hard to see them.
A Bed Bug mattress cover is an extremely important thing when it comes to eliminating an infestation at your home without tossing the mattress out or buying a new one.
You will want to get mattress covers for bed bugs to protect all the mattresses in your home so if by chance one does get in, it will be found and will not multiply. Not to be paranoid, but you will want to inspect everything coming into your home to prevent them from multiplying within your home.
The last thing you need is to be asleep and have these little critters crawling around possibly causing a serious problem. You will want to make sure you have mattress covers for bed bugs so you can protect one of the first places they look to take cover and multiply.
The cheapest way to make sure that the bed bugs inside your mattress will not come crawling out at night to feed on your blood and cause your rashes again is to make sure they will not be able to come out again.
A bed bug-resistant mattress cover will let you do just that. This type of mattress is made typically of vinyl, polyurethane, or PVC, all three of which are made of strongly woven materials so that bed bugs, tiny as they are, will not be able to pass through. The material is then covered by a soft fabric then zippered up to keep sleeping still comfortable for you.
It might bother you to know that inside your bed are legions of trapped bed bugs, wanting to feed on you, but wouldn’t it be more upsetting if these bed bugs were able to come out? Keep the bed bug-resistant mattress cover on for a year or more to make sure that all bed bugs are dead by the time you remove it.
Types of Mattress Covers for Bed Bugs
1. Aller-zip Bed Bug Proof Encasements
Aller-zip produces the highest quality products for encasing mattresses, box springs, and pillows for the protection from bed bugs. Their waterproof covers are made from terrycloth cotton fabric that ensures they will not be hot to sleep on like other covers made from vinyl material.
Aller-zip bed bug proof encasements come in all different bedding sizes including twin, twin xl, double, queen, and king. They are also one of the only companies that makes California king mattress covers and box spring covers. Aller-zip is also the only company I have found that makes bed bug crib mattress covers.
Product Feature Highlights:
- Breathable polyurethane backing on all sides makes these covers completely waterproof.
- Not hot to sleep on- made from breathable cotton. You will not notice any difference in temperature while sleeping.
- Locking zipper offers the best protection.
- Certified against bed bugs, dust mites, and other allergens.
- Machine-washable and dryable makes cleaning super easy.
Aller-zip covers also have one of the best guarantees on the market. If a cover leaks and tears from everyday use within ten years of purchasing, the company will send a replacement at no extra cost.
Aller-zip users have reported not having a single bed bug bite in over three months of use. I recommend this product for people that have a bed bug problem and for people at risk of getting bed bugs.
The downside of Aller-zip bed bug mattress covers is their price. They are one of the most expensive bed bug protectors on the market, but they are also the highest quality. Other covers that have been tested do not rate nearly as high with regards to comfort, protection, and ease of use.
While yes, you will pay more for one of these covers over a bed bug mattress cover from Walmart, simply knowing you have protected yourself and family with the best product out there is worth the extra price to finally having a good night’s sleep.
Check AMAZON for more INFO / BUY
2. Luna Premium Waterproof Mattress Protector
If you’re looking for a premium quality bed bug protector, but don’t want to pay a premium price, then Luna Waterproof bed bug protectors are the right choice for you. Costing only half of what some other bed bug mattress products are, Luna brand bed bug protectors will not only keep your home happy, but also your wallet.
Besides being extremely affordable and high-quality, there are a variety of reasons to choose this bed protector. The following are just some of them:
· Protectors available in every possible size for the mattress, box spring, or pillow.
· Zippered design.
· 100% waterproof.
· Protects you from dust mites, perspiration, allergens, fungus, bed bugs, urine, and bacteria.
· Comfortable 100% cotton terry membrane keeps you dry and is noiseless.
· Does not change the feel of your mattress -just like sleeping with nothing there.
· Special Luna Airflow technology allows pure air to cleanly circulate through the protection barrier, but does not allow liquid or any other type of pest to penetrate. This also prevents you from feeling hot.
· Hypoallergenic surface is great for those who suffer from allergies, eczema, or asthma.
· Full replacement 10-year warranty.
Luna Patented Airflow Technology Keeps Your Sheets Cool. These American-made bed bug protectors are constructed of the highest quality materials and are sure to last. Unlike lesser brands, Luna bed bug protectors do not rip easily and even feel soft right out of the box unlike others that feel stiff and crinkly. They also have very deep pockets, which is perfect for thicker mattresses and wash very well.
Be sure to buy Luna Waterproof Bed Bug Protectors for your mattress, your box spring, and your pillow if you want to put up the best defense against bed bugs.
Related: Can Bed Bugs Live in An Air Mattress?
Check AMAZON for more INFO / BUY
3. Sleep Safe Bed Bug Encasements
Sleep Safe Bed Bug Encasements are made to perfectly protect all areas of your bed, not just your mattress. Bed bugs can live in every corner of your bed, so it is best to protect your mattress, your pillows, and your box springs as well.
With so many bed bug mattress covers and other bed bug protectors, it is often difficult to decide which brand is the one for you. While AllerZip continuously has the most favorable results, you will also pay a lot more for that product than you will for a Sleep Safe version.
Features of Sleep Safe Bed Bug encasements
· Made from Evolon, an environmentally friendly fabric is cotton-like in nature and allows your skin to breath – this means no getting hot at night or waking up to rustling sounds caused by movements.
· Ultrafine, soft allergen-proof barrier comfortably keeps you safe from dust mites, bed bug infestations, allergens, parasites, and insects.
· Extremely durable, microfilament fabric is safe for unlimited washing and drying.
· Has a tough barrier with microscopic pores, that only clean air will be able to pass through.
· Double lock zipper protects your bed effectively
· Environmentally friendly with various health and environmental awards to the manufacturer for their best Results.
· 10 Year warranty
If your Sleep Safe mattress encasement is stiff upon arriving, try washing once to release its optimum softness. Be careful to hold the mattress while putting on your new mattress protector unless it may rip.
Sleep Safe bed bug encasements are so wonderful, it will feel like you have nothing underneath the sheets or pillowcase. Plus, they are very affordable when compared to other brand names. Don’t settle for less when it comes to getting rid of bed bugs permanently – opt for an affordable alternative that works. Also, be sure to support your mattress when putting on your new Sleep Safe bed bug encasement and measure how deep your mattress is, so you don’t end up with a too-shallow cover.
Check AMAZON for more INFO / BUY
4. Sleep Tite Mattress Protector
Sleep Tite offer a 15-year warrantee on their waterproof, breathable, noiseless mattress covers. This is an extremely popular option and will protect you from bed bug bites and your mattress from further infestation.
Sleep Tite Mattress Protectors have a hypoallergenic cotton terry surface that is so quiet and cool to sleep on that you won’t even feel it’s there.
Check AMAZON for more INFO / BUY
Vinyl Mattress Cover for Bed Bugs
The vinyl mattress covers are available in two styles one that covers more like a fitted sheet where they fit on to the mattress and on the sides. The other covers the entire mattress with a zipper to close and protect it. The vinyl covers are simple to put on and are easy to clean by just wiping them off. This is well suited for protecting the mattress from getting wet and you will at least have some protection.
Unlike the encasing mattress cover which covers the entire mattress and closes with up to six zippers, this protection is limited to the top and sides with the one type, leaving the bottom of the mattress exposed. While the other type does cover the whole mattress, but the vinyl will need to be a heave gauge since vinyl does tear living the mattress exposed and an open invitation to bed bugs since this is where bed bugs could slip in. There will be even more of an added protection if both the mattress and box spring are covered.
The vinyl mattress cover for bed bugs are available in all sizes and does help protect from dust, spills, stains, bedwetting and mites as well. The vinyl cover will also protect the mattress from mold and mildew if this is an issue. If you do decide to go with a vinyl mattress cover for the best protection you will need to go with a covers the entire mattress to protect both the mattress, as well as, the person sleeping in the bed.
One thing about the vinyl mattress cover for bed bugs is that they are significantly less in price then some of the other encasing mattress covers. So if you have a budget, these covers are under warranty for two years and are also available in different depths in case you have a high mattress. Just remember that it is vinyl and will make noise if you move around a lot when you sleep.
What kind of bed bug mattress cover should I buy?
Not all mattress covers and encasements do the job well – you need to look for one that is proven and guaranteed to be bed bug proof. When choosing the right mattress cover for your home there are two parts to consider: the material and the zipper.
Bed bug mattress cover zipper
- Zipper teeth: Make sure the zipper teeth are small enough to prevent bed bugs passing right through the zipper. If they are too large, then the mattress cover will be useless because the bed bugs will still be able to gain access to your mattress.
- Zipper stop: The zipper should go all the way to the seam and there should be no gap at the end of the zipper.
Warranty Finally, make sure your mattress cover comes with a warranty. Many of the better-quality brands such as AllerZip, Luna, Protect-A-Bed and Sleep Tite come with a 10 or even 15 Year Warranty.
Bed bug mattress cover material
- Breathable: A breathable material such as polyurethane will be much more comfortable than a cheaper material such as vinyl.
- Silent: A silent material won’t make any noise when you move around in bed at night.
- Machine washable: Machine washable and dry-able material will be much easier to clean than one that needs dry cleaning for instance. If you do have bed bugs in your mattress you will want to leave the cover on continuously for 18 months to ensure all bed bugs are eliminated.
- Bed bug proof The material should be strong enough to prevent bed bugs passing through it and to prevent them biting you while you sleep. This means any bed bugs already in your mattress will not be able to feed and will eventually die. And no more bed bugs will be able to enter your mattress to hide.
Struggling with Bed Bugs?
Did you know that bed bugs are now wreaking havoc in more homes, hotels, prisons, and hospitals in the United States than ever before? The cause of these high levels may be due to greater international travel and increased immigration. No longer are bed bugs found in unkempt homes they are now found in the cleanest houses.
Most experts agree a bed bug mattress cover is the first step of action in the prevention of getting or ridding your home of bed bugs. A simple mattress encasement can save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
As I found myself recently with my own bed bug problem, I scoured the Internet for my options to treat them. I soon realized that the first thing that I needed to do was purchase a bed bug mattress cover immediately.
These encasements are made to keep bed bugs out your mattress and will also keep any that are already in the bed from escaping. They will eventually die inside and do no harm. Be careful to leave the encasement on for a minimum of six months as bed bugs can live in a hibernated state for months.
Be sure to also get an encasement for the box spring as bed bugs can also be hiding in there. Also, make sure that they enclose the entire area as bud bugs are tiny and can creep through the smallest of areas. By using these two items, you will not have totally gotten rid of your bed bug problem, but you will have taken the first steps to extermination.
Plastic or Vinyl Mattress Cover
There are for the most part two options when it comes to bed bug mattress covers – vinyl and fabric encasements. Vinyl covers will cost much less in price but also come with some pitfalls. They are often a little noisy and most people do not like the sound of crinkling plastic when crawling into bed. They can also be hotter than other covers since they do not breath.
The fabric bed bug mattress cover will be more expensive but also feature more benefits than their counterparts. First you will not even know that they are on the bed, the material they are made from is breathable and will not get hot. They will not rustle and you will not even know that they were present if no one told you. These types of covers are often used in high class hotels since they are easily washed and do not draw notice to themselves.
An area that is often overlooked when trying to get rid of bed bugs is the pillows. They are prime candidates for bed bugs as they prefer warm places that are nearby to their food sources. I believe that bed bug pillow cases are a must have. Be sure to go for the more expensive fabric enclosures as they are not as hot and can be washed over the vinyl.
As the bed bug mattress covers, can be expensive some ranging over a hundred dollars it can be daunting to purchase. We must remember that they are much less expensive than the alternative of purchasing a new mattress and box spring.
When there are no longer bed bugs present in your home or if there never have been I would still recommend the use of a bed bug mattress cover. With their use, it is much easier to eliminate the bed bugs at home.
Advantages of using bed bug mattress covers
There are several significant benefits to using bed bug mattress covers; some of the advantages are outlined below:
• With proper use, mattress covers can stop the progress of an infestation of bed bugs in its early stages and cut the insects off “at the pass.”
• A bed bug mattress protector can make a bed that is seemingly unusable usable again
• The cover can safeguard a new bed from the beginning in order that the mattress will not become infested
• If properly used, a mattress cover could potentially keep the bed bugs away from the box spring
How to Prevent Bed Bugs When Traveling
Bed bugs infesting hotels is an ever-growing problem. Staying in a hotel room that has a bed bug infestation puts you at very high-risk of bringing the little blood suckers back home with you.
Who is at Risk?
Bed bugs are not very particular when it comes to choosing a hotel to stay in. There is as much risk of bed bugs at a five-star hotel as there is at a one star. Unfortunately, most bed bugs problems in hotels or motels go unnoticed or are never reported.
Steps to Take Before Leaving Home
- Check the Bed Bug Registry for any cases of bed bugs infestation before booking a room.
- Use bed bug proof luggage and garment bags to protect your belongings.
- Bed bug spray found at Amazon.com can be used as a preventive measure on your luggage.
When You Arrive at the Hotel
- Keep your luggage inside the car or by the door before stepping foot into the room. Closely check the headboard, mattress, box spring, and sheets for any signs of bed bugs.
- Look in the drawers and inspect all furniture.
- Don’t be afraid to move items around, look under and around everything, even if this means flipping the mattress upside down.
- Use a flashlight because some hotels are dimly lit. Always be sure you have enough light to do a thorough investigation.
- Use the bed bug spray on and around where you will be placing your luggage. If you’ve already sprayed your luggage, you should spray it again.
- After staying a night, check your sheets in the morning for blood stains or bed bug feces.
- Also, check your body for bed bug bites. Remember that bite marks take time to form.
What to Do if You Find Bed Bugs in Your Hotel
Leave the room immediately.
Contact the front desk for a room change.
When arriving home, take a hot shower and wash all your belongings in hot water.
As you can see from the above, preventing bed bugs when traveling is not a simple task. There is always the chance you could unknowingly bring them home, but following the above guidelines should allow you to sleep better at night, no matter where you are sleeping.