Best CPAP Machine for the Money- Reviews and Consumer Buying Guide
We participate in affiliate programs from some of the companies mentioned in this post and earn a commission when you click over from our site. It won't cost you an extra dime (in fact you'll usually get a discount), and I'll get a small commission. (Full Disclosure)
Last updated on May 13th, 2018 at 07:11 am
There are so many CPAP machines on the market today that it becomes difficult to know which one will work best for you.
It is important that you do your homework when trying to figure out the best CPAP machine for you. It can be confusing especially if this is your first time to purchase one.
Believe it or not, the CPAP technology has changed so much in the last few years or since the last time you purchased your previous CPAP machine.
What to Look for When Purchasing a CPAP Machine
- Quiet Operation: No CPAP Machine is 100% quiet. However, recent models from ResMed and Respironics like the ResMed Airsense 10 series have reduced noise levels. If snoring sound can drive your partner nuts, what do you think a noisy CPAP Machine beside your bed would do? A quiet Cpap Machine is the key to a complete and fulfilling therapy.
- Climate Control: Climate Control is the rave of the moment. This feature makes the Machine adapt its output with environmental or climatic changes. This is handy if you travel a lot as this will help keep the temperature of the air that you breathe steady despite any changes in the weather.
- Has Humidifier: Not all CPAP machines are compatible or work with humidifiers (A device that eliminates dry air by supplying moist air), but if you need to control the dryness or moist of the air delivered to you, you will need a humidifier.
- Auto Adjustment: This feature makes your CPAP Machine auto adjust or preserve your prescribed settings despite climatic or environmental changes. This saves you the stress of having to often check and reset your Machine to your preferred settings.
- Portability: Being on Cpap Therapy should not bring your life to a standstill. Whether you are travelling or going on a camping trip, there are machines built to fit into laptop bag and can be carried on a commercial flight.
- Intuitive Design: Your CPAP Machine should be easy to use. Look for a machine with an intuitive interface, push buttons and user friendly LED display, that makes customizing your prescribed settings a simple task.
- Data Recording and Storage Capability: Why should you buy CPAP Machine that lacks the capacity to store or record your sleep history on a Data Card? Your machine should at least be able to store up to a year’s worth of data. Your Sleep History and CPAP usage data is critical to your CPAP therapy as this helps your therapist understand and access any improvements or issues with your therapy.
- Comfortable Mask: Some CPAP users complain of discomfort and scarred faces from the use a CPAP mask. Not all CPAP Machines come with a good cpap mask. Yes, you can purchase a new mask but this will cost you extra funds.
What Kind of CPAP Machine is best for me?
Looking at all the features listed above, it might look like a herculean task to select the right kind of CPAP Machine.
So let’s help you.
Here is a list 4 CPAP machines that have a minimum of 3 of the features listed above. As at the time of this writing these are the top crops.
- ResMed S9 Elite™ CPAP w/ H5i™ Heated Humidifier
- Respironics System One REMstar Auto CPAP w/ Humidifier
- Respironics System One REMstar Plus CPAP w/ Humidifier
- Respironics System One REMstar Pro CPAP w/ Humidifier
ResMed Cpap Machines
The Company ResMed (Respiratory Medicine) has become a household name in the CPAP Industry.
It all began when Professor Collin Sullivan and Peter Farrell wanted to commercialize the treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea with Nasal Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP).
In 1989 (after about 8 years of research), ResMed was born. And though founded in Australia, ResMed Cpap Machines are used in over 60 countries.
ResMed continues to grow organically by acquiring small companies that are active in ventilation technologies.
Despite its growth, ResMed has remained true to its primary purpose and continues to lead the charge in the treatment of Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea with the use of CPAP machines.
Today, ResMed is a leader in the development, manufacture and distribution of devices that are used in the treatment and management of Obstructive Sleep apnea, Central Sleep Apnea and other Sleep Illnesses.
ResMed features a wide range of CPAP products and devices.
RESMED S9 ESCAPE
At a first glance, you can literally feel and almost touch the craftsmanship that created the ResMed S9 Escape. It is sleek and compact. ResMed Cpap Machines are known for their compact size and the ResMed S9 escape is no exception.
It is designed to give you maximum comfort even while you are asleep. With the Expiratory Pressure Relief (EPR) technology, the S9 escape is able to give you a very natural breathing experience by reducing air pressure when you exhale.
By making the Easy-Breath Motor even better, ResMed has been able to virtually eradicate the noise from your CPAP machine.
This machine also has a large color display and buttons that are clearly marked so you can easily make changes to the settings on the S9 escape.
RESMED S9 ELITE
The S9 Elite like its brothers and sisters in the S9 series has a compact size and stylish look that makes the life of a sleep apnea patient bearable.
It is designed with just 4 distinguishable buttons and also has a large user friendly Color Display that makes setting and customizing your settings very easy.
The S9 Elite is unique because it is able to detect different kinds of Sleep Apnea.
Using the CSA algorithm and other technologies, S9 elite is able to measure your airway patency and easily detect if you have CSA.
Like all other CPAP machines in the S9 series, the S9 elite the Climate Control Feature. With this feature, your CPAP machine is able to ensure that the heat and humidification you get is the same with the ambient conditions of your room/environment.
Having enhanced the Easy Breath Motor, your CPAP machine is able to give you optimum performance without any noise. With this, you and or your partner can enjoy quiet, peaceful and interrupted sleep throughout the night.
RESMED S9 AUTO SET
The ResMed S9 Auto Set features a stylish look that makes it fit your bedside or where ever location you choose to use it.
It is also very compact size and like all the other machines in the S9 series, it has a wide range of features that makes using a CPAP machine more intuitive than intimidating.
Expiratory Pressure Relief
The S9 Auto Set is able to adjust pressure to give you maximum comfort. By combining its intelligent algorithm with the Expiratory Pressure Relief (EPR) technology, the S9 Auto Set is able to provide a lower expiratory pressure during use.
By doing this, you no longer have struggle against the continuous pressure from your CPAP machine when you are expiring.
It also has APAP technology. This technology makes the S9 Auto Set monitors your breathing and adapts to any changes that might be occur while you sleep.
Climate Control Feature
The climate control feature is another excellent feature of the S9 series. The CPAP machine is able to provide the same heat and humidification for you as that of the environment/bedroom.
Climateline Heated Tubing
The machine also has Climateline Heated Tubing. The Climateline Heated Tubing comes with a thermostat at the end of the tubing that helps the S9 Auto Set measure the temperature sent to the mask and adjusts the heat settings when needed.
If the temperature drops as the moist air travels along, the tubing will heat the air to the desired temperature that you have previously selected. This technology eliminates rainout and dry mouth after use.
Removable Data Card and Data Storage
- All S9 ResMed CPAP machines from ResMed have removable and onboard data storage.
- The S9 ResMed CPAP machines are able to store data for up to 365 days.
- The data stored includes average usage, used hours, run hours, days used, possible and other information.
The mask fit feature also makes your machine smart enough to tell you whether or not you have worn your cpap mask correctly.
If it displays “adjust” then you have not worn the mask correctly but if it displays “good” then you have worn the mask correctly and are ready for a good night’s sleep.
With Technologies like “Auto Set” ResMed Cpap Machines provide comfort and ease of use for users.
The Auto Set technology is able to provide just the right amount of pressure required by the user (it neither gives insufficient amount of air pressure, nor does it provide excessive air pressure).
Using the AutoSet technology, the CPAP machine is able to adjust pressure as the user’s need changes based on sleep stage, sleep position, leaks and other factors.
RESMED S8 SERIES
The younger ResMed S8 series features ResScan. ResScan software is used to view all the data (including compliance data) that is downloaded from your CPAP machine unto a PC.
The compliance data is simply information that contains an analysis of how you are responding and complying to CPAP therapy.
The compliance data that is obtainable from your CPAP machine is particularly useful because it gives insight your CPAP treatment and therapy management simple.
Its patient management option is very flexible; it provides a ResScan data card and direct USB connectivity.
ResMed s8 series also comes with 12v/ 24v dc input making it the perfect companion for your travel.
If you don’t like using a CPAP machine, you may consider using one of these top rated snoring mouthpieces.